Airport History - Past
1944 – County of St. Clair Board of Supervisors established the need and appropriated from the general fund the sum of $106.000.00 for the purchase of approximately seven hundred eighty five (785) acres of land to construct and maintain an airport.
1950 – With the participation of the Civilian Aeronautics Administration, State of Michigan Department of Aeronautics and the County of St. Clair appropriated $130,000.00 for development of runways.
1951 – With the participation of the Civilian Aeronautics Administration, State of Michigan Department of Aeronautics and the County of St. Clair a administration building was constructed.
1954 – The Treasury Department designated St. Clair County Airport as an International Airport.
1977 – 80 Acre Air Industrial Park was constructed.
1994 – Instrument Landing System was constructed.
Since then we have acquired and developed 920 acres of land, built two hard surfaced runways with parallel taxiways. Instrument Landing System Installed. 80 acre Air Industrial Park.
It is “plane" to see that St. Clair County International Airport has proven through its history to have a laid a solid structure for the growth and development of the County of St. Clair, Michigan.
October 20, 2016 Airport will be 65 years old.
2015 – Design Taxiway J, K, and P Rehabilitation Air Industrial Park
2015 – Rehabilitation of Taxiway J, K and P Air Industrial Park & Corporate Hangar
2015 – ILS Runway 4/22 Length and Width Justification – Completed and Approved
2016 – Design Rehabilitation Runway 4/22 Lighting & Rehabilitation of Airfield Lighting Electrical Vault
2017 – Rehabilitation Runway 4/22 Lighting – Relocation & Rehabilitation of Airfield Lighting Electrical Vault
2018 – Design Rehabilitation of Runway 4/22
2018 – Rehabilitation of ILS Runway 4/22
2019 – Design Rehabilitation Taxiway Lighting, B & C